Monday, November 3, 2008

!VOTING DAY!


!Endorsements from Life-long Press!
I was talking w/ a friend, Suchi, about tomorrows election some weeks ago and she wondered why it is not called "Voting Day." I know there are a few days on which we are meant to hit the poles or meet our vote by mail dead lines however, like Suchi I feel that if it were called voting day perhaps more people would feel compelled to vote. I also believe, as was my voter status in my late teens and twenties, that many people do not vote because they find voter information ballots and conflicting television adds "overwhelming" or "confusing." Because many Americans are simply not taught how to vote inquiry into the issues and candidates and the act of voting itself is seen as a "task" rather than a RIGHT and the opportunity to educate one's self is not undertaken. At this point I take my right to vote as fundamental to my behavior as a; citizen, artist, worker, family member, friend, student and educator. It is my privilege to go public w/ the choices I will be making on voting day. I have based my decisions on the voter information pamphlet for the general election and for Alameda County, conversation at the work place and w/ friends, television adds and news programs, as well as the San Francisco Bay Guardian. There are a few issues I am still undecided about and would love to hear your input so please comment w/ any of your opinions. I also want to wish Suchi a happy Voting Day Birthday, thanks for inspiring my thinking and my decision to spend a little extra time to share my opinions in public.

PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESEDENT Obama/ Biden
US REPRESENTATIVE 9TH DISTRICT Lee
STATE SENATOR 9TH DISTRICT Hancock
STATE ASSEMBLY 14TH DISTRICT Skinner
SUPERIOR COURT OFFICE #9 Hayashi
COUNCIL MEMBER AT LARGE Kaplan
AC TRANSIT DISTRICT DIRECTOR AT LARGE ?
AC TRANSIT DISTRICT DIRECTOR AT LARGE WARD 2 Harper

STATE MEASURES
1A Yes
2 Yes
3 No
4 No
5 Yes
6 No
7 ?
8 No
9 No
10 No
11 No
12 ?

SCHOOL
N Yes

CITY OF OAKLAND
NN No
OO Yes
VV Yes
WW Yes

No comments: